Sunday 28 May 2017

Day 1 May 13th

So, first day of my Coast to Coast walk is over, compared to my Pennine Way I done last year I didn't get the same "buzz" today. I was looking forward to it of cause, but probaly last years walk being my first long distance maybe explains it. Anyhow Liz drove me down from our overnight stay in Ennerdale Bridge, which happens to be where I was heading back to today, down to a windswept and drizzly St Bees shoreline. I went through the usual ritual of wetting boots in sea and picking a pebble from the beach, this is then taken with you to be cast onto the beach at the walks end, which is Robin Hood's Bay.
Picking "my pebble from the beach

Being an ex postman, rather than just take it with me, why not deliver it!!!!!

Usual photo shoot at "official" start........

.........and off I go.

The first 3 or 4 miles is walked around the cliffs of St Bees Head, a pleasant walk, windy but the rain had actually stopped more or less at the start of the walk. Only been walking 20 minutes or so and I heard a ping from my mobile, you know when you travel abroad and get the local services network, well I got one from "Isle of Man", shows how close it is away from here.
Looking back to where I left Liz, see you later this afternoon!!!

Clear pathway over cliffside

Thousands of sea birds on cliffs

St Bees lighthouse

Last look at the sea before turning inland

Turning south from the cliffs and shoreline you make your way through the small villages of Sandwith, Moor Row and Cleator, not picturesque by any means, but..........
You then have the only real climb of the day, a long but gradual ascent of Dent Hill, this is where I met my first C2Coasters, two guys, not real walkers Shawn and Vitrold (excuse spelling). Shawn was from Southampton, Vitrold close to me from Derby. I spent the rest of the day walking and chatting with them, good company and I was to meet them later on my journey. Getting to the higher reaches of Dent Hill, the visibility dropped, mist obscuring any sights into the distance. once over the top it dropped gradually but the last 200 metres or so was probably the steepest descent of the next 12 days, fortunately it was nice soft grass underfoot. At the bottom you reach a beautiful little area called Nannycatch, a small dale with a stream or "beck" running through, very pretty indeed. This then led to a road which takes you into the village of Ennerdale Bridge, by this time the sun was out, leaving you with views over to the Lakeland hills and mountains, calling out to you for the next three days walking, bring it on, this will be the highlight of this C2C in more ways that I realised!!!!!!!
Heading inland, Dent Hill shrouded in mist in the distance

Nannycatch



Vitrold and Shawn
Ending the day on a high, Lakeland hills in the distance

No comments:

Post a Comment